All Recipes, Sauces & Dressing, Lactose Free
Béchamel Sauce – 3 Ways
A traditional béchamel sauce adds rich flavour to any pasta dish. Whether you prepare it plain, with cheese or mushrooms, Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk makes this sauce easy for everyone to enjoy.
Can also be made with Lactantia® 2% PūrFiltre Milk.
Serves: 3 Preparation: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins
- In a medium size pot, over medium heat, heat the oil and add in the onions.
- Gently sautee the onions for a minute to extract the flavours, stirring often to avoid getting too much colour. Add in the flour, and cook the roux (flour and oil) for a few minutes.
- Slowly pour in the Lactantia® Lactose Free Milk while whisking vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Once the mixture is thick and smooth, add in the salt and white pepper and continue to gently cook for a few more minutes.
- Variation 1 - Cheese Sauce: Put the béchamel sauce back in the pot and sprinkle with cheese, while continuing to whisk.
- Slowly add in the chicken stock until desired thickness is achieved. Sprinkle with fresh chives.
- Variation 2 - Cream of Mushroom Soup: In a spice grinder or coffee grinder, grind the dried mushrooms into a powder.
- Heat the stock on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Add in the dried mushrooms and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the strained béchamel sauce and adjust seasonings.
- Mix in parsley and serve.