Mini Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pies
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (+ 10 minutes standing time)
- Serves: 6
Topped with puff pastry, these chicken pot pies with cooking cream, earthy mushrooms, fresh herbs and leek are a decadent variation of an old-fashioned classic.
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia® 35% Cooking Cream
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) black pepper, divided
- 8 oz (250 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (light green and white parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 g) chopped potatoes (1/2-inch/1 cm chunks)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- Season chicken with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper.
- In large high-sided skillet set over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter. Add chicken and cook, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.
- Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) Lactantia® Salted Butter to skillet. Add mushrooms, remaining salt and remaining pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Stir in carrot, celery, leek, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to soften. Sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in broth and Lactantia® 35% Cooking Cream. Stirring, bring to a boil. Stir in potatoes and bay leaves; bring back to a boil. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened to light gravy consistency. Remove from heat. Discard bay leaves. Stir in peas, chives and mustard. Let cool slightly.
- Use remaining Lactantia® Salted Butter to grease six 1-cup (250 mL) ramekins. Divide chicken mixture among ramekins.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tbsp (15 mL) water.
- Place puff pastry sheets on lightly floured work surface. Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Top each pot pie with pastry round. Brush pastry with egg wash. Cut a steam vent in centre of each pie.
- Arrange ramekins on parchment paper–lined baking sheet
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Substitute chicken with beef tenderloin or leftover roast beef. Beef tenderloin is a good substitute for this quick pot pie because it does not need braising.