Crème Brulée Sugar Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
(+ 15 minutes cooling time)
- Makes: 40
Kick your sugar cookies up a notch with velvety cream cheese frosting and the satisfying crackle of crème brûlée!
- 1 cup (250 mL) Lactantia Butter – My Country Unsalted Quarters, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) lemon zest
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Lactantia Butter – My Country Unsalted Quarters, room temperature
- 1/2 pkg (4 oz) plain brick-style cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar, for dipping
- Using electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk, vanilla and lemon zest.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch and salt; fold into butter mixture to form soft dough.
- Scoop dough, 2 tbsp (30 mL) at a time, into balls. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart and flatten slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake cookies for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Meanwhile, beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting evenly over cookies; dip in sugar. Using kitchen torch, lightly torch tops of cookies until sugar is caramelized. Let stand for 2 minutes or until hardened.
To make ahead, prepare cookie dough and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Cookie dough can also be scooped into balls and frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen, adding an additional minute of baking time.