Apple Crisp with Spiced Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Serves: 4 to 6
Garnished with a fragrant and flavourful spiced whipped cream, this old-fashioned apple crisp dessert never goes out of style.
- 8 cups (2 L) peeled, cored and sliced honey crisp apples
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) large flaked oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cold and cut into cubes
Spiced Whipped Cream:
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1 carton (473 mL) Lactantia 35% Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Filling: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl toss together apples, sugar, maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger until well combined. Sprinkle in flour and toss to combine.
- Scrape into greased 8×11 -inch baking dish. Dot with butter.
- Topping: In a medium bowl stir together oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter with fingertips until combined. Sprinkle evenly over apple filling.
- Bake for 40 to 45 or until topping is golden brown, apples are tender and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly before serving.
- Whisk together icing sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves; set aside. Whip cream with electric beaters until soft peaks start together. Add spiced icing sugar and vanilla. Continue to whip until stiff peaks start to form.
- Serve apple crisp with spiced whipped cream just before serving. Garnish with mint.
- Substitute pecans with walnuts if desired.
- Substitute honey crisp apples with crispin, spy, golden delicious, Cortland, Ida red, or Jonagold.