Lemon Herb Cheese Crumbled over Watermelon Salad
- 60 minutes
- 5 min + 30 min in fridge
- 4 people
Homemade cheese featuring Lactantia® Lactose Free Cream makes an impressive addition to this fresh salad. Both unexpected and delicious, it’s the perfect side for warm-weather meals.
- 1L Lactantia® Lactose Free 10% Half & Half Cream
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- In a medium pot, bring the 1L Lactantia® Lactose Free 10% Half & Half Cream to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add in the lemon juice slowly to let cream curdle, let cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat, add in the fresh herbs, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain mixture into a cheese cloth lined sieve and let drain for a minute.
- Bring all sides of cheesecloth together and tie around a wooden spoon.
- Place the wooden spoon over a bowl so that the cheesecloth hangs above it without touching the bottom.
- Allow the cheesecloth mixture to drip for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out additional liquid and take the cheesecloth to a work surface. Loosen the cheesecloth and reform around the cheese to form into a rectangle.
- Place cheesecloth in between a pan and a weight and let sit for another 30 minutes.
- Once the cheese is pressed, undo the cheesecloth, and cut into cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the watermelon, red onions, and olives.
- In a jar mix together elements for dressing and pour over watermelon mixture.
- Divide onto 4 plates and sprinkle cheese over top.